Glass Syringe History
- In 1853, a Scottish physician, Alexander Wood (1817-1884) developed a syringe with a needle. He was appointed Secretary of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh in 1850. A French surgeon, Charles Gabriel Pravaz (1791-1853) of Lyon was making a similar syringe which quickly came into use in many surgeries under the name of The Pravaz Syringe. They both independently invented the hypodermic syringe. The very first use of the syringe was for injecting morphine as a painkiller.
- Later, Benjamin A. Rubin invented the vaccination needle. This was a refinement to the conventional syringe needle. From 1949-50, Arthur E. Smith received 8 U.S. patents for a disposable syringe.
- In 1954, Becton, Dickinson and Company created the first mass-produced disposable glass syringes and needles. In 1955, Roehr Products introduced a plastic disposable hypodermic syringe called the Monoject.
- In 1956, Colin Murdoch, a pharmacist from Timaru , New Zealand patented a plastic, disposable syringe to replace the glass syringe. He was 27, in 1956, when he obtained his first patent on the Disposable Syringe. Over the next 15 years Murdoch invented numerous permutations of the disposable syringe: disposable sterile pre-filled hypodermic syringes, prepared ampoule-type moulded plastic syringe darts, disposable automatic vaccinator syringes, sterile self-filling syringes for blood samples, variable dose vaccinator syringes and wet and dry disposable syringes. Colin Murdoch has patented forty-six inventions including: a silent burglar alarm, automatic syringes for vaccinating animals, the childproof bottle top, and developed a syringe gun in the 1950s.
- In 1961, Becton Dickinson introduced its first plastic disposable syringe called the Plastipak.
- African American inventor Phil brooks received a US patent for a Disposable Syringe on April 9, 1974.